Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Day 23: Jewelry

Today's word is jewelry. I have two pieces that remind me of Emma:


The bracelet is a silver Kate Spade bracelet that reads, "hand in hand in hand" over and over.  The inscription inside the bangle says, "There's strength in numbers."  My sister works for Make-a-Wish, and her wonderful co-workers purchased these bracelets for Alli, my mom, and I.  It reminds me of the generosity of strangers, and that Allison has a great support group of her own.  Her co-workers drove her up to Milwaukee from Indianapolis the day that we were in the hospital.  The selflessness they displayed was inspiring.

The necklace is a few different things.  The diamond is from a necklace that Jeff gave me on our wedding day.  The ring is the ring that was in Emma's hand when we were in the hospital.  Jeff bought me the chain for my birthday in July.  I have worn it every day since.  Holding that ring in my hand makes me feel like I'm touching her again.  It's a bit hard, because I know that this ring will always be too big for her tiny fingers.  She will never grow into and out of it.  Still, there's a comfort in touching something that touched her.

No comments:

Post a Comment